We put our heads together and worked on refining our creation. We changed the settings on the phone so that the image would not rotate, and then flipped it upside down.
This was to ensure that the image would be right side up when displayed on the wall. We also moved the paperclip stands inside the box to change the focus and make the image clearer. This required some adjustment with the lights off until we found the ideal focus.
To deal with how dark the image first appeared, we turned the brightness way up on the phone, and then tried again.
As you can see, with these revisions, the projector worked way better, and we could actually recognize Kanye on the wall.
We ran into another challenge, however, when trying to document this, as we discovered pretty quickly that phone cameras are horrible at taking pictures in the dark. To end up getting the image above, we had to let in some light from the window to allow the exposure to be slightly higher and the image more clear – in order for it to appear in the image.
Over all, our final project worked out pretty well for a very low cost.
We were trying to make a very low tech and inexpensive version of a projector, and considering this, we didn’t expect much. We were surprised with the results and how well it actually turned out. Aside from a few technical errors with the box, the lighting, and the lens itself, the project ended up working out in our favour.
To conclude, this is a very easy and very simple DIY that you can make yourself at home to replace those expensive and complicated projectors advertised.
This is Hannah, Lauren, and Lara, signing off.